Friday, November 28

time travel

yes, i am extremely excited for christmas.


when i arrived home on tuesday, my family had completely decorated the house for christmas (minus the tree and the outside lights) and had a fire in the fireplace. it was a perfect way to be welcomed home, especially after a ridiculously stressful and draining week. the only odd thing was, thanksgiving still had not happened. i'm not one that gets overly angry when i see christmasy things before the month of december, let alone thanksgiving day, but i for sure thought it was silly. but, seriously, how could i complain when i was surrounded by an abundance of penguins? they bought a light up one especially for me:

nonetheless, this week has proven to be a family overload week. thanksgiving dinner involved my cousin and her new husband, an aunt that i haven't seen in probably 4 years and a surprising lack of other relatives that had never been absent before. i also discussed the upcoming "girl cousins' night" at my aunt's (another one that i haven't seen in years) house, which almost burned down in the recent santa barbara fires. i'm a tad overwhelmed by this upcoming night but it's a month away so whatevs for now. tomorrow i'm going to the zoo with my grandpa and step-grandma, renee, and my mom, dad and sister too. i get to see penguins in person, which easily makes this the best day of my week at home. 

another benefit is the time i have to read.

not only do i get to fit in a few pages of "Travels With Charley" here and there, but my sister has the new NYLON (mine is waiting for me in my SD mailbox). though i was disappointed by the issue's lack of excitement about the new year, i was highly impressed by the holiday playlist created by SNL's newest addition, Casey Wilson. the song descriptions were genius and the humor refreshing. i greatly appreciated the Gremlins reference (and the accompanying picture of a gremlin holding a candy cane with dancing music notes floating above his furry head), as well as the Bruce Springsteen "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" recommendation. Check it out in the Dec/Jan 09 issue with Lily Allen on the cover. it's on page 142. (seriously, it made me LOL.)


a band that i'm getting into: The Welcome Wagon, whose album is produced and arranged by Sufjan Stevens and released on Asthmatic Kitty. very Sufjan-esque, featuring covers of The Smiths and old hymns, as well as original creations. check out the mp3 at stereogum.com. the album is released on Dec. 9.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It made me LOL!!!! Love that you just said that slash I also want to read this Nylon. And listen to this band. I heart yo' blog gurl.